A driver working for United Nations World Food programme was gunned down, one staff injured and another two worker abducted by unknown gunmen in Somali region in eastern Ethiopia, UN food agency said Saturday.
“I am deeply saddened by this deplorable killing,” said WFP Executive Director Josette Sheeran in a statement.
Farhan Hamsa – a WFP driver – was killed in an ambush on 13 May by unknown assailants in the Somali Region of Ethiopia. He was on a monitoring mission with three colleagues when the vehicles they were travelling in were attacked, according to UN food agency statement.
The UN agency also said two of its staff remained missing after the surprise raid.
The local people believe this attack behind the terrorist group led by Mohamed Omar Osman, this group support by Eritrean regime. Their crucial members are living in the western countries.
“Humanitarian workers need and deserve the protection of all as they seek to protect the vulnerable and save innocent lives,” the statement said.
“We call upon the world to join us in condemning such actions as the killing of Farhan. Every day WFP drivers like Farhan deliver life-saving help to the most vulnerable under conditions of great danger and hardship. They are my heroes.” It noted.
On May 8, the British envoy in Addis Ababa gave an exclusive interview with the Ethiopian local media, had revealed how his government concern about the activity of this group in the Ogaden region.
Norman Ling, said “the ONLF is a secessionist group, and we deplore its terrorist activities.” “However, they and others have been prepared to negotiate with the government of Ethiopia, the ambassador, adding that it is to be welcomed.
WFP said it provides food assistance to 4.5 million people in Ethiopia, including refugees and school children in highly food insecure areas.
This is the second deadly attack on a WFP humanitarian worker in less than a month to take place in the region.
No group has claimed the responsibility of the attack so far.