Sudanese Army Accuses South Kordofan Rebels of Planning Attack

 

Khartoum, Mar 19, 2012 – Sudanese army on Sunday accused rebels in South Kordofan of planning a wide-range attack against Sudan, which is directly backed by South Sudan.

The army also said the South Sudan’s support to the rebels is a violation of a framework agreement recently concluded in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa.

“The Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) condemns this aggressive approach which reflects the South Sudanese government’s retraction from the agreements it signed with the Sudanese government,” said Al-Sawarmy Khalid Saad, a spokesman of SAF, in a statement obtained by Xinhua.

“It has been proved beyond doubt that these forces which were mobilized for this aggression have completed their preparation. We expect the aggression to begin in the coming two days,” he added.

Sudan’s South Kordofan, a state bordering South Sudan, has been witnessing armed clashes between the Sudanese army and rebel groups belonging to the northern sector of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) since June last year.

Khartoum has been accusing South Sudan of supporting the rebel groups active on the border in their attacks against Sudanese territories.

Sudan and South Sudan on Feb. 10 signed a security agreement aiming to end armed conflict between the two sides.

The agreement, which was reached in Addis Ababa under the mediation of the African Union, stipulated that the two sides should respect each other’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, refrain from intervention in each other’s internal affairs, reject any use of force and observe common interests and peaceful coexistence.

 

rasaas.com